Rapid City Estate Planning Attorneys
Providing Expert Estate Planning Assistance in Pennington County and Greater South Dakota with Over 100 Years of Combined Experience
Thinking about the transfer of one’s estate after they pass away can be a difficult task. However, we are here to help. Estate planning at Beardsley, Jensen & Lee is more than just drafting documents on your behalf; we make an effort to determine the best course of action regarding the transfer of an estate, as well as planning for unexpected events that could derail an individual’s wishes.
We recognize that every family and individual is unique, and we take the time to sit down with our clients to design an estate plan that is tailored to meet a family’s or individual’s specific goals. Some of the services that we provide to accompany an individualized estate plan include:
- Living wills
- Powers of attorney
Why Comprehensive Estate Planning is Essential
Planning for the future is crucial to ensure that your assets are protected and your loved ones are taken care of. Comprehensive estate planning goes beyond simply creating a will. It involves a thorough evaluation of your financial situation, assets, and goals to develop a personalized plan that addresses your unique needs.
Here are some reasons why comprehensive estate planning is essential:
- Preserve your wealth: Estate planning allows you to determine how your assets will be distributed after your passing. By creating a well-structured plan, you can minimize estate taxes and ensure that your loved ones receive their rightful inheritance.
- Protect your loved ones: Estate planning allows you to appoint guardians for minor children, establish trusts to provide for their financial needs, and designate beneficiaries for life insurance policies and retirement accounts. This ensures that your loved ones are taken care of in the event of your incapacity or death.
- Avoid probate: Proper estate planning can help your loved ones avoid the lengthy and costly probate process. By utilizing tools such as living trusts, you can transfer assets to your beneficiaries outside of probate, saving time and money.
- Plan for incapacity: Estate planning includes preparing for the possibility of incapacity. Through the creation of documents such as a durable power of attorney and healthcare directive, you can appoint someone to make financial and medical decisions on your behalf if you become unable to do so.
- Ensure business continuity: If you own a business, estate planning is crucial to ensure its smooth transition in the event of your retirement, incapacity, or death. By creating a succession plan, you can designate who will take over the business and outline the necessary steps for a seamless transition.
At Beardsley, Jensen & Lee, our experienced estate planning attorneys can guide you through the process of creating a comprehensive estate plan that protects your legacy and provides peace of mind. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Rapid City Estate Administration
It is always a good idea to meet with an experienced Rapid City estate planning attorney when a loved one passes away to determine the proper steps that need to be taken. Although probate may be avoided in certain situations with the proper estate plan, probating an estate is sometimes necessary.
We work with our clients, whether a personal representative (or executor) or beneficiary of the estate, to make the probate process as simple as possible. If a dispute arises regarding an estate, we also represent clients during the ensuing litigation to secure and safeguard their interests.
Succession Planning in South Dakota
At Beardsley, Jensen & Lee, we not only assist clients with estate planning and estate administration, but we also assist with succession planning for clients who own businesses, farms, or ranches. In today’s legal landscape, succession planning ensures that the family business, farm, or ranch is protected for future generations while also strategically limiting or potentially avoiding high tax burdens that may cripple the successful transfer of the family business, farm, or ranch.
Get Started By Calling Us Today
With over 100 years of experience, our Rapid City estate planning lawyers will use our legal knowledge to deliver a quality estate plan, an efficient estate administration, and a durable succession plan. The South Dakota Consumer Protection office outlines Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning Guidelines.