Brett Poppen joined Beardsley Jensen & Lee in 2010 and became a partner in 2017. His practice focusses on civil litigation, construction and professional liability law, and insurance defense. Brett has tried lawsuits across South Dakota.
Brett was born and raised in De Smet, South Dakota. He graduated from South Dakota State University in 2005 and from the University of South Dakota School of Law in 2009. After graduation, Brett served as a law clerk in the Sixth Judicial Circuit of South Dakota.
Brett enjoys spending time with his family, serving in his church, and reading.
Some specific examples of Brett’s practice include:
- Lead defense counsel in wrongful death jury trial representing a farmer accused of negligently causing a death in a motor vehicle accident. The jury returned a verdict in favor of our client and awarded the plaintiff zero damages. Okroi v. Sichmeller, 18CIV12-11 (5th Jud. Cir. Ct., Nov. 6, 2015).
- Co-defense counsel in wrongful death action representing family farm alleged to be liable in negligence and strict liability for the death of an employee as the result of an explosion at the farm. The South Dakota Supreme Court affirmed in part and reversed in part the Circuit Court’s order granting summary judgment in favor of our client. Sheard v. Hattum, 2021 S.D. 55, 965 N.W.2d 134. Upon remand from the South Dakota Supreme Court, the Circuit Court entered an order granting summary judgment in favor of our client. Sheard v. Hattum, 32CIV18-134 (6th Jud. Cir. Ct., Feb. 1, 2022).
- Co-defense counsel in personal injury action representing home builder alleged to be liable for the injuries of an employee of a subcontractor during construction of a home. The South Dakota Supreme Court affirmed the Circuit Court’s order granting summary judgment in favor of our client. Ries v. JM Customs Homes, LLC, 2022 S.D. 52.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of South Dakota
- Pennington County Bar Association
Schedule your consultation with Brett today at (605) 777-7466.