Gary represents clients in civil litigation- disputes involving construction, commercial, insurance, health care, and personal injury matters.
Gary tries cases to juries and judges in state and federal courts. He argues cases in appellate courts. He handles cases in tribal courts.
Gary has held the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell for many years. He was selected Trial Lawyer of the Year by South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association. He was elected by his peers to membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates and served as President in 2018.
Gary's family is very important to him, and he absolutely loves being a grandfather to his four grandchildren.
Gary has served on a variety of Boards and Commissions. One of his favorites was the South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks Commission where he served a maximum of eight years from 2013 to 2021, the last two as chair.
Gary really enjoys fly fishing and teaching others how to catch a wily fish with a fly. He is not a particularly effective hunter. He's an avid baseball and basketball fan. He enjoys music, particularly on his walk at the end of the day.
Gary is totally committed to undertaking every reasonable effort to achieve the best possible result for every client in every case.
- University of South Dakota School of Law, Vermillion, South Dakota, 1978
J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota, 1975
B.S., Bachelor of Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association 1979 – present
- Board Member, 1988-1999
- President, 1990-1991
- State Bar of South Dakota
- Civil Pattern Jury Instructions, Chairman
- Negligence and Tort Law Committee, Chairman
- American Board of Trial Advocates, President of South Dakota Chapter
- Admitted to Rosebud Sioux Tribal Court
- Admitted to Cheyenne River Sioux Tribal Court
- Admitted to Oglala Sioux Nation Tribal Court
Schedule your consultation with Gary today at (605) 777-7466.