Rapid City Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Traumatic Brain Injury Cases in South Dakota
Few injuries are as serious or as life-altering as brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs, typically require extensive medical treatment and ongoing care. Victims will likely face exorbitant medical bills and may be unable to work for weeks, months, or even years. All of this, coupled with the physical and emotional pain and suffering victims experience, can make it incredibly challenging to move forward.
At Beardsley, Jensen & Lee, we believe that you should not have to simply suffer the consequences of someone else’s negligence on your own. If you or your loved one suffered a TBI because of another person or entity’s careless, reckless, or wrongful conduct, reach out to our Rapid City traumatic brain injury lawyers right away to learn how we can help. When you choose our firm, you get an entire team of legal professionals dedicated to you and your recovery.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
There are two main types of head injuries: open-head and closed-head injuries. An open-head injury occurs when the skull is broken or damaged; a closed-head injury occurs when the brain suffers damage, but the skull remains intact. As such, closed-head injuries can be more difficult to detect, diagnose, and treat than open-head injuries.
Some of the most common types of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Concussions: Typically caused by a blow to the head or a sudden, severe impact, concussions are generally considered one of the mildest types of TBIs. However, concussions range in severity and can have numerous negative effects, particularly when an individual suffers multiple concussions.
- Coup-Contrecoup: Coup-contrecoup brain injuries occur when a sudden impact or blow to the head causes the brain to hit the opposing inside of the skull. This results in two points of injury: one at the initial impact site and one where the brain makes secondary contact with the inside of the skull.
- Diffuse Axonal Injuries: Diffuse axonal injuries, or DAIs, occur when the connective fibers in the brain suffer microscopic tears (also known as “shearing”). Depending on the size and location of these tears, brain damage can be catastrophic. In very severe cases, DAIs lead to permanent and irreversible brain damage and/or death.
- Skull Fractures: Although they are not technically brain injuries, skull fractures can lead to brain injuries when bone fragments cause damage to the brain. Skull fractures can also lead to hemorrhaging and may result in traumatic open-head injuries when an object that causes the fracture also makes contact with the brain.
While there are many types of TBIs, ranging from mild to moderate to severe, all brain injuries are serious and require immediate medical attention. If you believe you or someone you love may have suffered a TBI, be sure to see a medical professional right away.
Common Causes of TBIs
Some of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Sports accidents
- Recreation-related accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Medical malpractice/birth injuries
Sadly, many traumatic brain injuries occur due to entirely preventable circumstances. If you believe someone else’s negligent or wrongful behavior caused your or your loved one’s injury, you could have grounds for a personal injury claim.
Why You Need a Brain Injury Lawyer
Navigating the aftermath of a catastrophic injury is not easy. You need to focus on getting proper medical care and healing. At Beardsley, Jensen & Lee, our Rapid City traumatic brain injury lawyers are prepared to handle every detail of your case so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries and/or learning to cope with new disabilities.
Our attorneys bring over 100 years of collective experience to every case. What’s more, we work as a team, combining our knowledge, resources, and trial skills to better represent every individual client. When you hire our firm, you don’t just get one attorney—you get a dedicated group of legal professionals all working to maximize your recovery.
We are known for our aggressive approach to negotiation and litigation, as well as for our willingness to go to trial. If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we are prepared to aggressive advocate for you in court.